Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Vintage Altec Amps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Cowboy_Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2010
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Vintage Altec Amps

    I recently found an old Altec unit when cleaning out a storage building at church. The model numbers are 1567A and 1569A. They are both housed in the same green case. As far as I can tell some of the tubes are burned out so I have not been able to see if it still works. It appears to be in fairly good condition. Does anyone know what a unit like this is worth and would it be worth restoring. Thank you for your input.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Vintage Altec Amps

    Both valuable units sought after in the current market. You can usually find completed sales for both items on ebay which can be a guide to their value. Exact value will be determined by the working and overall condition.

    DO NOT power them up, the tubes are probably fine. What suggests to you that any tubes might be bad?

    The 30-50 year old electrolytic caps are probably well out of spec, some may even be shorted or open at this point. Novice power ups of old tube gear can effectively destroy valuable tubes that are no longer made, and in rare instances can even lead to damaged transformers.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vintage Altec Amps

    Second to Bowtie's post. If you're gonna sell it, don't even plug it in. Wipe off the dust, take good pics from all angles, and list it on eBay just as you found it. Should bring $1K or more, but start it low and let the bidders run it up.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Cowboy_Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2010
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Vintage Altec Amps

    Thank y'all for your input.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.